radeon ring 0 test failed on arm64

Peter Geis pgwipeout at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:21:59 PDT 2022

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 9:17 AM Robin Murphy <robin.murphy at arm.com> wrote:

> On 2022-03-17 12:26, Peter Geis wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 6:37 AM Robin Murphy <robin.murphy at arm.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2022-03-17 00:14, Peter Geis wrote:
> >>> Good Evening,

I've added the Designware driver maintainers, since the Rockchip host
driver uses the dwc driver.

> >> No.

> >> No.

> >> No. (probably)
> >>
> >> CPU access to PCIe has nothing to do with PCIe's access to memory. From
> >> what you've described, my guess is that a GPU BAR gets put in a
> >> non-prefetchable window, such that it ends up mapped as Device memory
> >> (whereas if it were prefetchable it would be Normal Non-Cacheable).
> >
> > Okay, this is perfect and I think you just put me on the right track
> > for identifying the exact issue. Thanks!
> >
> > I've sliced up the non-prefetchable window and given it a prefetchable window.
> > The 256MB BAR now resides in that window.
> > However I'm still getting bus errors, so it seems the prefetch isn't
> > actually happening.
>
> Note that "prefetchable" really just means "no side-effects on reads",
> i.e. we can map it with a Normal memory type that technically *allows*
> the CPU to make speculative accesses because they will not be harmful,
> but that's not to say the CPU will do so. Just that if it did, you
> wouldn't notice anyway.
>
> It's entirely possible that the PCIe IP itself doesn't like unaligned
> accesses, so changing the memory type just moves you from an alignment
> fault to an external abort.

Okay, I've tried setting up PL_COHERENCY_CONTROL_3_OFF, where AxCACHE
can be forced from auto to predefined for reads and writes.
As I understand it, the cache bit should permit characteristic
mismatch to be accepted and prefetch to be enabled, when combined with
the read/write bits.
It doesn't seem to make a difference however.
I got the idea to look for this from the Armada8K and Tegra drivers.

It would be nice to know if dGPUs work at all on *any* DWC based PCIe
controllers.
We could use those as a starting point to find out what's broken here.

> > The difference is now the GPU realizes that an error has happened and
> > initiates recovery, vice before where it seemed to be clueless.
> > If I understand everything correctly, that's because before the bus
> > error was raised by the CPU due to the memory flag, vice now where
> > it's actually the bus raising the alarm.
> >
> > My next question, is this something the driver should set and isn't,
> > or is it just because of the broken cache coherency?
>
> The general rule for userspace mmap()ing PCIe-attached memory and
> handing it off to glibc or anyone else who might assume it's regular
> system RAM is "don't do that". If it's not access size or alignment that
> falls over, it could be atomic operations, MTE tags, or any other
> new-fangled memory innovation. For the ultimate dream of just plugging
> in a card full of RAM, you either need to look back to ISA or forward to
> CXL ;)

So either go back to the really old way of doing things, find and fix
the underlying problem, or wait for the IP to catch up?

> Robin.

Thanks!
Peter