Meson GXL and Rockchip PHY based on same IP?

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 30 10:06:11 PDT 2022

Hi Heiner,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 5:59 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Meson GXL and Rockchip ethernet PHY drivers have quite something in common.
> They share a number of non-standard registers, using the same bits
> and same bank handling. This makes me think they they may be using
> the same IP. However they have different quirk handling. But this
> doesn't rule out that actually they would need the same quirk handling.
You made me curious and I found the following public Microchip
LAN83C185 datasheet: [0]
Page 27 has a "SMI REGISTER MAPPING" which matches the definitions in
meson-gxl.c.
Also on page 33 the interrupt source bits are a 100% match with the
INTSRC_* marcos in meson-gxl.c

Whether this means that:
- Amlogic SoCs embed a LAN83C185
- LAN83C185 is based on the same IP core (possibly not even designed
by Amlogic or SMSC)
- the SMI interface design is something that one hardware engineer
brought from one company to another
- ...something else
is something I can't tell

Best regards,