MiPi DSI interface for RK3566 ?

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Jan 28 01:19:43 PST 2022

Hi Philip,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 12:33:39AM +0000, subs wrote:
> Hello Sascha
>
> Please excuse me for reaching out unsolicited.
>
> I have a project for which I want to use the DSI interface for the Pine
> Quartz64 and other RK3566 boards.
>
> The problem is that the DSI interface (unless I am mistaken) is only
> supported with the BSP kernels.  As functionality of mainline kernels is now
> approaching that of the BSP kernels and is clearly the future for this SoC
> this leaves those of us who want to use LCD panels left a bit out on a limb.
> Other developers are telling me to forget about the BSP kernels but if one
> wants to use an LCD panel that isn't so easy.
>
> I am not a kernel developer and so I only have three choices, wait, put
> significant effort into working around the BSP kernel, or give up and target
> another SoC.
>
> Are you able to give any indication whether you know if anyone is working on
> DSI support in mainline and if something is coming any time soon? so that I
> can plan my project accordingly?

I have MIPI DSI working based on these VOP2 patches. MIPI DSI is
currently out of scope for us, I only worked on it up to the point where
it works for me on the RK3568 EVB board to be able to test the VOP2 driver.

You can get the patches here:

https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/sha/linux/log/?h=rockchip-vop2-mipi

The patches are not in a mainline suitable shape, but could well serve
as a starting point.

Sascha