Annotation for dtbscheck to ignore a defect (Was: Re: renesas/master bisection: baseline-nfs.bootrr.rockchip-usb2phy0-probed on rk3399-gru-kevin)

Guillaume Tucker guillaume.tucker at collabora.com
Fri Oct 1 03:00:47 PDT 2021

Hello Rob,

On 28/07/2021 11:51, Heiko Stübner wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 28. Juli 2021, 11:16:14 CEST schrieb Marc Zyngier:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:59:49 +0100,
>> Guillaume Tucker <guillaume.tucker at collabora.com> wrote:

>>> You were listed by get_maintainer.pl for the patch found by the
>>> bisection:
>>>
>>>   Robin Murphy <robin.murphy at arm.com> (authored:1/8=12%,added_lines:9/71=13%,removed_lines:16/41=39%,added_lines:11/45=24%,removed_lines:18/32=56%,authored:1/12=8%,added_lines:22/83=27%,removed_lines:29/69=42%)
>>>
>>> Maybe the logic to automatically build the list of recipients
>>> could look at those stats and apply some threshold if too many
>>> people get listed because of small contributions to some files.
>>> It's not a common issue though, usually the recipients are all
>>> pretty relevant.

This issue is still present and it got bisected yet again
yesterday by KernelCI.

>>> Dang, you're right.  This is the test case:
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/kernelci/bootrr/blob/main/boards/google%2Ckevin#L119
>>>
>>> assert_driver_present rockchip-usb2phy-driver-present rockchip-usb2phy
>>> assert_device_present rockchip-usb2phy0-probed rockchip-usb2phy ff770000.syscon:usb2-phy at e450
>>> assert_device_present rockchip-usb2phy1-probed rockchip-usb2phy ff770000.syscon:usb2-phy at e460
>>>
>>> Now that needs a conditional depending on the kernel version.  Or
>>> we could try to make it more dynamic rather than with hard-coded
>>> paths, but doing that has its own set of issues too.
>>
>> And this shows once more that DT churn has consequences: it breaks a
>> userspace ABI. Changing userspace visible paths for the sake of
>> keeping a build-time checker quiet seems counter-productive. My
>> preference would be to just revert this patch, and instead have an
>> annotation acknowledging the deviation from the 'standard' and keeping
>> the checker at bay.
>
> I'd be fine with that, if that is the consensus. And an annotation comment
> would be good in that case, just to keep a similar change  from getting
> submitted.
>
> I guess the interesting question is if dtbscheck has some sort of tooling
> to detect these "this is meant to be that way for backwards compatibility"
> hence adding Rob for that question.

Could you please take a look at Heiko's suggestion above to see
if this should be solved in dtbs_check?  If not then we would
need to change the KernelCI test definition to look for a
different name based on the kernel version (which sounds like
breaking user-space).

Thanks,
Guillaume

GitHub: https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-project/issues/55

* This automated bisection report was sent to you on the basis  *
* that you may be involved with the breaking commit it has      *
* found.  No manual investigation has been done to verify it,   *
* and the root cause of the problem may be somewhere else.      *
*                                                               *
* If you do send a fix, please include this trailer:            *
*   Reported-by: "kernelci.org bot" <bot at kernelci.org>          *
*                                                               *
* Hope this helps!                                              *

mainline/master bisection: baseline.bootrr.rockchip-usb2phy1-probed on rk3399-gru-kevin

  Start:      02d5e016800d Merge tag 'sound-5.15-rc4' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound
  Plain log:  https://storage.kernelci.org/mainline/master/v5.15-rc3-135-g02d5e016800d/arm64/defconfig/gcc-8/lab-collabora/baseline-rk3399-gru-kevin.txt
  HTML log:   https://storage.kernelci.org/mainline/master/v5.15-rc3-135-g02d5e016800d/arm64/defconfig/gcc-8/lab-collabora/baseline-rk3399-gru-kevin.html
  Result:     8c3d64251ac5 arm64: dts: rockchip: rename nodename for phy-rockchip-inno-usb2

Checks:
  revert:     PASS
  verify:     PASS

Parameters:
  Tree:       mainline
  Branch:     master
  Target:     rk3399-gru-kevin
  CPU arch:   arm64
  Lab:        lab-collabora
  Compiler:   gcc-8
  Config:     defconfig
  Test case:  baseline.bootrr.rockchip-usb2phy1-probed

Breaking commit found:

commit 8c3d64251ac5c5a3d10364f6b07d3603ac1e7b4a
Author: Johan Jonker <jbx6244 at gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Jun 1 18:47:59 2021 +0200

    arm64: dts: rockchip: rename nodename for phy-rockchip-inno-usb2