[Question] rk3399 vfio-pci/sr-iov support

Adam Joseph adam at westernsemico.com
Mon Nov 15 11:50:04 PST 2021

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 14:07:02 +0000
Robin Murphy <robin.murphy at arm.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2019 1:28 pm, Peter Geis wrote:
> > I'm back with more pcie fun on the rk3399.
> > I'm trying to get pcie passthrough working for a vm on the rk3399,
> > and have encountered some roadblocks.
>
> That much I can help with somewhat: the major impediment is that
> RK3399 doesn't have an IOMMU in front of PCIe.

For the more limited case of defending against attacks from
hostile/buggy firmware on PCIe devices: is it possible to use the
RK3399 PCIe "inbound address translation" support instead of an IOMMU?

The RK3399 TRM, v1.3 "Part 2", section 17.5.5.2.1 explains how to
configure address translation (including a base/bounds check) for
inbound-to-SoC memory writes, but details are quite sparse.

Linux appears to not use this functionality; from
drivers/pci/controller/pcie-rockchip-host.c we can see that it
disables the base/bounds (sets them to the entire 32-bit space, which
is all RAM on RK3399 since it supports only 4GB) and passes all 32
bits of incoming memory writes:

static int rockchip_pcie_prog_ib_atu(struct rockchip_pcie *rockchip,
                                     int region_no, u8 num_pass_bits,
	                             u32 lower_addr, u32 upper_addr)

static int rockchip_pcie_cfg_atu(struct rockchip_pcie *rockchip)
{
	err = rockchip_pcie_prog_ib_atu(rockchip, 2, 32 - 1, 0x0, 0);

Is this a dead end?  If not I might pursue it, if I can get the
necessary documentation.  I couldn't find any mention of ATS in the
RK3399 manual; if the PCIe RC allows that then all bets are off anyways.

  - a