[RFC 0/5] arm64: imx8mm: Enable Hantro VPUs

Chen-Yu Tsai wenst at chromium.org
Sun Dec 19 19:13:37 PST 2021

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 1:52 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas at ndufresne.ca> wrote:
> Le vendredi 17 décembre 2021 à 09:26 -0800, Tim Harvey a écrit :
> > I'm not clear if anyone is working on IMX8MM VPU H1 support. You had
> > mentioned that some support [1] and [2] can be derived from the RK3288
> > using the Google ChromeOS method (a v4l2 plugin that simulates in
> > userspace a stateful encoder). I'm not sure if this is worth pursuing
> > if others are working on stateless encode support in kernel and
> > gstreamer.
>
> My colleagues started last week the project of crafting mainline stateless
> encoder uAPI. This is too early. In older project, we have had good success with
> the emulated stateful encoder. It is of course quite limited, but works in
> gstreamer, ffmpeg and chromium. It is also likely safer compared to the vendor
> provided driver.

If people still want to play with the old emulated stateful encoder, there
is a forward-ported version in the ChromeOS v5.10 kernel now. Note that
RK3288 (H1) support is untested. Also, RK3288 and RK3399 require different
versions of the userspace plugin. And the RK3288 version might require some
updates to add SELECTION API support.

ChenYu