[RFC V2 0/6] media: Hantro: Split iMX8MQ VPU into G1 and G2 with blk-ctrl support

Chris Healy cphealy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 07:57:57 PST 2021

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 7:39 AM Lucas Stach <l.stach at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, dem 08.12.2021 um 09:13 -0600 schrieb Adam Ford:
> > On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 7:36 AM Benjamin Gaignard
> > <benjamin.gaignard at collabora.com> wrote:

> > > The results for Fluster HEVC are 77/147 so no regressions :-)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Benjamin

> > Lucas,
> >
> > After reviewing the comments from Benjamin, I re-ran the VP9 tests
> > with the G2 running at 300MHz,and the number of passing VP9 tests
> > increased to 148 from 144 with an increase of time to 250.502 secs
> > from 162.665 secs.
> >
> > While the datasheet reads that the G2 can run faster, the i.MX 8M
> > Dual/8M QuadLite/8M Quad Applications Processors Reference Manual,
> > Rev. 3.1, 06/2021, table 5-1  shows the VPU_G2_CLK_ROOT has a max
> > clock of 300MHz.  I might be inclined to agree with Benjamin on the
> > 300MHz and let people who want to push their hardware overwrite the
> > default clocks since it increases functionality.
> >
> I'm quite surprised that the G2 codec should have such a much lower max
> frequency compared with the G1. While the table from the RM hasn't been
> obviously incorrect for any other clock, I'm still inclined to believe
> the frequencies stated in the datasheet.
>
> > I wonder if someone from NXP can comment
> >
> Yea, not sure how to proceed here. 300MHz is the safe bet, but we are
> leaving quite some performance on the table if the datasheet is
> correct. Without some help from NXP it's probably hard to validate
> which max frequency statement is correct. It doesn't really help that
> the NXP downstream kernel seems to drive the G2 at 600MHz, which is
> neither the 550MHz nominal mode max, nor the 660MHz overdrive mode max.

According to the NXP i.MX8MQ docs, "The G2 decoder conforms to the
HEVC Main/Main 10 profiles and can decode streams up to level 5.1."

If I'm reading the levels correctly, level 5.1 = 4,096×2,160 at 60.0.  If
the decoder can achieve this throughput at 300MHz, then there should
be no reason to go higher?  My speculation though is that when run at
300MHz, the decoder is not able to decode this fast.

Adam, can you determine the throughput at the different frequencies to
see if 300MHz can support 4K60 decode?