[RFC] ITS fails to allocate on rk3568/rk3566

Marc Zyngier maz at kernel.org
Fri Apr 16 16:23:35 BST 2021

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 02:13:38 +0100,
Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> On 2021/4/15 下午4:11, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > Hi Kever,
> >
> > On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 08:24:33 +0100,
> > Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Marc, Peter,
> >>
> >>      RK356x GIC has two issues:
> >>
> >> 1. GIC only support 32bit address while rk356x supports 8GB DDR SDRAM,
> >> so we use ZONE_DMA32 to fix this issue;
> > What transactions does this affect exactly?
> The GIC on rk356x is a 32bit master, which means all the space its
> logic need to access should be in the 4GB range.

Well, at least this is consistently broken.

> > Only some ITS tables? Or
> > all of them, including the command queue? What about the configuration
> > and pending tables associated with the redistributors?
> >
> >> 2. GIC version is r1p6-00rel0, RK356x interconnect does not support
> >> GIC and CPU snoop to each other, hence the GIC does not support the
> >> shareability feature.  The read of register value for shareability
> >> feature does not return as expect in GICR and GITS, so we have to
> >> workaround for it.
> > How about the cacheability attribute? Can you please provide the exact
> > set of attributes that this system actually supports for each of the
> > ITS and redistributor base registers?
>
> The shareability attributes in GICR_PENDBASEER, GICR_PROPBASER,
> GITS_BASERn, GITS_CBASER default value is 0b00, when we set 0b01 then
> read returns 0b01.

And I claim that this is a perfectly broken behaviour. How do you
expect software to find about the gory details of the integration?
That's the only way for SW to find out what the HW is capable of...

> Since there is no ACE coherency interface for this GIC controller, all
> the cacheability in the GIC is not support in hardware.
>

> > Also, please provide errata numbers for these two issues so that we
> > can properly document them and track the workarounds.
>
> What kind of errata do you need, could you please share any kind of
> example close to this case?

I would like something that says:

"ROCKCHIP_ERRATUM_123456: The GIC600 integration in RK356x doesn't
 support any of the shareability or cacheability attributes, and
 requires both values to be set to 0b00 for all the ITS and
 Redistributor tables."

This is pretty similar to the bug affecting ThunderX with its "erratum
24313" (covered by CONFIG_CAVIUM_ERRATUM_22375), where the tables have
to be flagged as non-cacheable. The Rockchip one is just worse.

We need an official erratum number so that we can refer to it in the
source, commit log and documentation, as well as cross-reference it
with the TRM. This number will be part of a configuration symbol that
will make the compilation conditional so that people don't have to
carry the extra burden generated by this bug if they don't need to.

Same thing goes for the 32bit bug.

> We consider this as a SoC implement design instead of a bug, so we
> will add document in RK356X  TRM to describe the GIC design, but no
> idea how to provide the errata.
>
> Here is the shareabily attribute from ARM GIC architecture specification:
> Shareability, bits [11:10] (from GITS_CBASER)
> Indicates the Shareability attributes of accesses to the command
> queue. The possible values of this field are:
> 0b00 Non-shareable.
> 0b01 Inner Shareable.
> 0b10 Outer Shareable.
> 0b11 Reserved. Treated as 0b00.
> It is IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED whether this field has a fixed value or
> can be programmed by software. Implementing this field with a fixed
> value is deprecated.
> On a Warm reset, this field resets to an architecturally UNKNOWN value
>
> As you can see, "Implementing this field with a fixed value is
> deprecated", so software should program this field to '0b00
> Non-shareable' if the SoC design does not support the cache
> shareability.

[I really feel special when people quote the GIC spec at me]

That isn't what it says. Hardcoding the field with a fixed value is
indeed deprecated, but that doesn't mean this field should accept
values that the HW cannot support. If anything, what this says is "try
and implement the options that SW is going to use".

But you need to give SW an indication of what is usable, because there
is no other way to *discover* what the SoC is capable of at runtime.
Otherwise, we would need to carry a per-SoC list of what the HW
supports. I don't think that's the right thing to do (and you're about
8 years too late anyway).

Other GIC600 integrations got it perfectly right, by the way. Same for
other GIC implementations, with the notable exception of Cavium and
their first GIC in ThunderX, as described above.

Thanks,

	M.