[v5,22/46] pwm: rockchip: avoid glitches on already running PWMs

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Mon Aug 21 08:39:55 PDT 2017

Hi Doug,

Sorry for the late reply.

Le Fri, 4 Aug 2017 09:22:56 -0700,
Doug Anderson <dianders at chromium.org> a écrit :

> Hi,

> >> Ouch. That's indeed hard to solve in a clean way. I may have
> >> something to suggest but I'm not sure clk maintainers will like it: what
> >> if we make clk_disable() and clk_unprepare() just decrement the refcount
> >> before the disable-unused-clks procedure has been executed (see
> >> proposed patch below)? This way all clks that have been enabled by the
> >> bootloader will stay in such state until all drivers have had a chance
> >> to retain them (IOW, call clk_prepare()+clk_enable()).
> >>
> >> BTW, I think the problem you're describing here is not unique to PWM
> >> devices, it's just that now, some PWM drivers are smart and try to keep
> >> clks enabled to prevent glitches.
> >
> > Actually, Mike had patches that introduced so called "handoff" clocks [0].
> > Clocks that were handled as critical until some driver picked them up.
> >
> > It's not exactly the same as your change and still would require
> > intervention from clock-drivers to mark clocks in such a way.
>
> Right.  As you're saying handoff isn't enough because in this case a
> driver _has_ picked up the clock.  The whole issue is that it's a
> shared clock between the 4 PLLs.  One driver already claimed the
> clock, enabled it, and disabled it.  Really something would need to
> know that another driver in the future might want to also pick up the
> clock.
>

> > So I really also like your approach, as it would make clock wiggling
> > during early boot safe for everyone involved :-) .
> >
> > And both seem to cater to slightly different use-cases as well.
>
> One worry I have about not truly disabling any clocks at boot time is
> that it could break someone who relies on a clock being disabled.  I'm
> not 100% sure that any of these would really affect someone, but...
>
> ...there is one example case I know of where you absolutely need a
> clock to stop on command (AKA it wouldn't be OK to defer till late
> init).  That case is for SD Card Tuning.  When you're doing a voltage
> switch the actual transition is keyed off the card clock stopping.
> That would break if there was a situation where clk_disable() didn't
> actually do what it was supposed to.  This is a bit of a contrived
> case and probably isn't 100% relevant (I think dw_mmc, for instance,
> stops the card clock directly through the dw_mmc IP block and it's
> invisible to the common clock framework), but it illustrates the point
> that there could plausibly be cases where deferring a clk_disable()
> might be unwise.

Right, I didn't consider this use case, but some drivers might rely on
the fact that clk_disable() disables the clk right away instead of
deferring it.

> I suppose, though, that it would be possible to distinguish those two
> cases via a 2nd API call.  AKA:
>
> clk_disable() -- disable the clock eventually
> clk_disable_sync() -- disable the clock but don't defer.  Still won't
> actually disable if someone else explicitly holds a reference.

Actually, I'd recommend keeping the existing behavior for clk_disable()
and adding a new function called clk_disable_async() (or
clk_disable_deferrable()). This way we do not break existing users that
rely on clk_disable() synchronicity and force users that actually allow
deferring clk gating to explicitly state it.