Rockchip RK3288 u-boot with mainline kernel

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Mon Nov 28 14:09:05 PST 2016

+ A few rockchip people and linux-rockchip

Hi Rick,

On 25 November 2016 at 11:20, Rick Bronson <rick at efn.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   I've got unsupported RK3288 hardware running the latest git u-boot to
> SPL as explained in
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=doc/README.rockchip.  My goal
> is to run the mainline (ie. not Android) Linux kernel on this hardware
> and wondered:
>
>  - Do I need to get the latest git u-boot to run before I can run the
> mainline kernel?  Or can I use
> github.com/linux-rockchip/u-boot-rockchip.git, which I have running
> u-boot fully.

It's up to you - obviously mainline is where the development should
be, but there is no requirement that I know of.

Does mainline run on your board?

>  - The device tree seems to be in two places, once via:
>
>         resource_tool --image=resource2.img --pack linux/logo.bmp ${DTS}.dtb
>
>   that gets put into the resource file and then again at the end of the
> kernel via CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB.  Do I need both?  When I do both
> I get things like:

> Unknow param: MACHINE_MODEL:rk30sdk!
> Unknow param: MACHINE_ID:007!

I don't know much about that. Hopefully someone on the linux-rockchip
list knows. But for mainline U-Boot I'm not sure why you would need
this?

>   Thanks much for any help.
>
>   Rick Bronson

Regards,