[GIT PULL] drm/rockchip: fixes and new features

Tomasz Figa tfiga at chromium.org
Wed Jul 1 02:17:58 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:13 PM, Mark yao <mark.yao at rock-chips.com> wrote:

>>> special handling? what means? "switch cursor plane to window 3" patch
>>> only
>>> switch cursor
>>>   windows from win1 to win3. tag window 3 as DRM_PLANE_TYPE_CURSOR,
>>> userspace
>>> only
>>> can found window 3 is a cursor plane.
>>>
>> Ah, this was a question slightly unrelated to that patch, but I just
>> noticed in that patch that the hardware cursor window is still exposed
>> to the userspace as overlay plane, even if it's not quite suitable for
>> being such.
>

> Oh, I know your mean, you mean that code:
>         { .base = 0x00, .phy = &cursor_data, .type = DRM_PLANE_TYPE_OVERLAY
> },
>
> right?
>
> That is I plan to do.
>
> hardware cursor window have a problem that hard to resolved.
> the window can't support width virtual and can't move out of left top top.
> But linux desktop or chromiumos should move cursor out of left or top.
>
> I'm considering remove it or find a another way to reuse it.

I think we should remove it for now, because I believe this breaks
applications that enumerate all available planes and use them for
hardware compose. Otherwise they will try to use the hardware cursor
window and will fail, because hardware cursor window has quite strict
requirements.

Best regards,
Tomasz