About RK3288 i2c scl duty cycle

addy ke addy.ke at rock-chips.com
Wed Sep 17 18:26:27 PDT 2014

Add public list

On 2014/9/17 23:17, Doug Anderson wrote:
> Addy,
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM, addy.ke at rock-chips.com
> <addy.ke at rock-chips.com> wrote:
>> hi, all
>
> Any reason why you didn't add some public lists?  It seems like this
> is a perfect discussion for linux-i2c.
>

>> According to i2c-bus specification(version2.1, page 32, Table5, FAST-MODE):
>> The minimum LOW period of the scl clock is <1.3us>, and the minimum HIGH
>> period of the scl clock is <0.6us>.
>> T(min_low) : T(min_high)  ~= 2 : 1
>>
>> If <DIVH = DIVL> in fast mode(scl rate = 400Khz)
>> 1)Under ideal conditions, T(scl_low) = T(scl_high) = <1.25us>
>> 2)Our measurement, T(scl_low) = <1.3us>, T(scl_high) = <1.25us>
>>
>> The low period of the scl clock is critical.
>>
>> Do we need set <DIVL:DIVH = 1 : 2>  to increase T(scl_low)?   // T(scl_low )
>> : T(scl_High) = 2 : 1
>
> I can't say I've ever looked at that pat of the i2c spec before, but
> what you say seems reasonable to me.  ...well for 400kHz, at least.
> At 100kHz you shouldn't use the same 2:1 ratio.

Yes, in normal-mode(100K) we can be only used 1:1 ratio.
But in FAST-MODE maybe we must use 2:1 ratio.
----
In Table 5(Characteristics of the SDA and SCL bus lines for F/S-mode I2C-bus devices)

1)FAST-MODE(400K):
  The minimum LOW period of the scl clock                1.3us
  the minimum HIGH period of the scl clock               0.6us
  T(min_low) : T(min_high)  ~= 2 : 1

  But I can't see any ratio about In FAST-mode(400k) and Normal-mode(100k).
2)Normal-MODE(100K):
  The minimum LOW period of the scl clock                4.7us
  the minimum HIGH period of the scl clock               4.0us
  T(min_low) : T(min_high)  ~= 1 : 1

3) HS-mode(3.4M)
  ratio of 1 to 2 is required, decribed as follows:
  Hs-mode master devices generate a serial clock signal with a HIGH to LOW ratio of 1 to 2