rk2918 support

Heiko Stübner heiko at sntech.de
Mon Oct 6 06:58:32 PDT 2014

Am Montag, 6. Oktober 2014, 14:14:36 schrieb Steven Newbury:
> Is there anything Cortex-A9 specific in the new Rockchip support?
> Should a mach-rockchip kernel boot on my rk2918 (Cortex-A8), or should
> I be looking at making it a separate "mach-rk29" as the original port
> did?

Depends on if you want to have it in the mainline kernel or want to keep it
outside :-) . Also there shouldn't even be more in any new mach-X than is in
mach-rockchip currently. Meaning the only thing that should be added there is
the "rockchip,rk2918" compatible string in rockchip.c

> I'm thinking I'll only going to put in the pieces to make it work with
> my board, since I can't test anything else, unless somebody with the
> hw wants to volunteer to test it?  I'm not sure whether I should port
> the rk29sdk as the machine with my board as a variant, as the original
> port did, or just create a port for my machine, maybe that will become
> obvious as I dig into device-tree?

I'm not sure I understand you here. Nowadays the _only_ board-specific part is
the rk2918-foo.dts devicetree file describing the actual board. The rest is not
supposed to have any board-specific code.

The sane approach would still be:
- debug serial
- pinctrl
- clock
- any device drivers that need adapting

But whatever you do, don't invest to much time in drivers, that already have
an equivalent in the kernel.