[PATCH v4 01/20] dt-bindings: phy: Add starfive,jh7110-inno-hdmi-phy

Michal Wilczynski m.wilczynski at samsung.com
Fri Sep 25 14:27:13 PDT 2026



On 9/18/26 08:16, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2026 at 08:34:18PM -0400, Joshua Peisach wrote:
>> On Thu Sep 17, 2026 at 2:51 AM EDT, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2026 at 05:32:09PM +0200, Michal Wilczynski wrote:
>>>> Add the dt-binding for the StarFive JH7110 Innosilicon HDMI PHY.
>>>>
>>>> This device is a child of the starfive,jh7110-hdmi-subsystem node. It
>>>> functions as both a PHY provider for the controller and as a clock
>>>> provider for the variable pixel clock (hdmi_pclk), which it generates
>>>> from its refoclk.
>>>>
>>>> Reviewed-by: Joshua Peisach <jpeisach at ubuntu.com>
>>>
>>> While I appreciate other people looking at this, I don't think review
>>> here applies. It was a blanket tag, given to the entire series, with
>>> exception that it is from newbie, thus I want to ask: was this binding
>>> REALLY reviewed by Joshua?
>>>
>>> Are the rest of the patches actually reviewed or just "looks good to
>>> me"? I see no comments from Joshua on v3, v2 and v1, which is usual sign
>>> of doing review.
>>>
>>>
>> I commented on v3 saying that I would test if I could. I don't just
> 
> Testing has nothing to do with reviewing.
> 
>> throw "Reviewed-by" on everything I look at.
>>
>> If anything, I've been trying to be more honest in reviews, and only
>> review ones that I actually care about[1].
> 
> You gave blanket tag for entire series, so I do not get this argument.
> 
>>
>> If reviewing patches isn't a good way for newbies to start getting
>> familiar with the kernel code (especially a NEW driver), then I don't
>> know what is.
> 
> Writing code and receiving review is something for newbies to start
> with. If you do not know kernel code or bindings, why do you think
> your review is applicable? If I try to review design of a post-tension
> concrete bridge, I would probably learn something. Would my
> review apply? No.
> 
> Best regards,
> Krzysztof
> 
> 

Well I do feel like this is at least partially my fault. I took the
Reviewed-by on the cover letter and automatically applied it using b4
without asking Joshua any more clarifying questions.

In v5 I will drop it from the binding patches and keep it on the driver
patches.

Joshua - please feel free to continue reviewing and testing this
patchset. Your help is very welcome.

Best regards,
-- 
Michal Wilczynski <m.wilczynski at samsung.com>



More information about the linux-riscv mailing list