Resctrl and I/O
Qinxin Xia
xiaqinxin at huawei.com
Thu Sep 24 02:38:36 PDT 2026
On 2026/9/24 01:13:27, James Morse <james.morse at arm.com> wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> On 22/09/2026 17:51, Luck, Tony wrote:
>> Patches for ARM[1] and RISC-V[2] are both at RFC status.
>>
>> They appear to be based on similar h/w capabilities where architecture
>> specific tags can be added to transactions from I/O devices by the IOMMU
>> servicing the device. Device enumeration is handled outside of the resctrl
>> file system.
>>
>> ARM docs say "the device name is the one listed under /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/<id>/devices/"
>
> I think using existing stuff in sysfs is a good idea.
> (Creating new things in sysfs fills me with dread!)
>
> ARM/MPAM also has platform devices that can add the CLOSID/RMID metadata.
> e.g. the GIC ITS [4] - a kind of translator for MSIs.
>
> For these we considered just using the device name as found in /sys/bus/platform/devices/,
> in the hope that can be tied back to a struct device - and we could add a callback for
> resctrl to configure the device with a CLOSID/RMID.
> (but - I've not seen a use-case for this yet - those devices generate very little traffic)
>
>
> Robin M set me straight on the iommu_group:
> Strictly that is the wrong abstraction as devices are in the same group if the
> driver can't stop them communicating, e.g. PCIe peer2peer. This doesn't mean it
> can't tell the traffic apart for CLOSID/RMID labelling.
> I picked this because its the device granularity VFIO works with.
>
> Equally, a device may create multiple streams of traffic, where only the driver
> will know what each one corresponds to.
>
>
> Using iommu_group like this may need a bit more thinking....
> If we can fall back to using a device as seen by sysfs, then the arch differences
> here could be invisible to user-space.
>
>
Hi all,
Thanks for the feedback and the discussion. The device_name ->
iommu_group -> sid mapping shown in the patch[1] is only one
configuration example. It may not fully exploit MPAM capabilities,
especially when multiple devices share the same iommu_group.
There are other possible configuration approaches, for example deriving
the SID directly from the PCIe BDF. I prefer to use the device directly
rather than iommu_group, as that is more aligned with the MPAM
specification. I also agree that iommu_group is not ideal as a new uAPI,
for the reasons Jason and others have pointed out.
However, there are two problems with using the device directly:
Not all devices can obtain their SID via a device name in the same way
PCIe devices can.
MPAM actually supports SSID-granularity control and monitoring, but
users currently cannot obtain the SSID.
>> RISC-V says architecture specific device tokens are "devices or device groups"
>>
>> In both cases assignments are made with:
>>
>> # echo {device} > {group}/devices
>>
>> So now I'm looking at the capabilities of Intel RDT hardware. I'm ignoring
>> the implementation on the Granite Rapids CPU, and looking at what is described
>> in the RDT Architecture Specification[3]. Here are the highlights:
>
>
>> 1) Enumeration is split between two ACPI tables. IRDT enumerates device groups
>> and provides MMIO addresses to assign CLOSID/RMID to each group.
>
> For ARM/MPAM - this would always be driver specific. The fields may be share a register
> with other things the driver needs to consider.
> The IOMMU abstracts this for its devices, but this is still something the IOMMU driver
> needs to know about.
>
> A driver hook, with a drivers/acpi fallback would be ideal.
>
>
> Do you have arbitrary grouping of devices? e.g. a USB controller and the UART.
> Or would the grouping make some sense to the OS. e.g. all the USB devices behind
> this port.
>
> Having the UART show up when you add a USB controller to a control group is a bit odd.
>
>
>> ERDT provides
>> MMIO addresses to read event counts for RMIDs and to configure cache allocation
>> bit masks and memory bandwidth limits.
>
> Arm's IOMMU does have controls/monitors that match the spec the MPAM driver needs,
> but we currently have no way to expose them through resctrl.
> The caches on the IOMMU are also relatively small - I've not yet seen anyone show that
> setting the controls there makes a big difference.
>
>
>> 2) All I/O monitoring and control is with respect to I/O caches, not to the L3
>> caches that legacy RDT features operate on.
>
> Do you have I/O traffic that can turn up in the CPU L3 cache? I think PCIe calls
> this 'cache stashing'.
>
> Arm's IOMMU is the same - but the traffic may also show up in the L3 depending on how
> the system is put together.
>
>
>> 3) The number of RMIDs supported for I/O is lower (maybe considearbly lower)
>> than the number supported for CPU monitoring.
>
> MPAM can have this happen - and today it will sanitise the values to the lowest
> common value. Considerably lower becomes considerably upsetting!
>
> I'd be interested if we have an approach for this - the IOMMU designers would argue
> they only need one RMID per device - but the system wide sanitised value means they
> have to match the rest of the system.
>
>
> For MPAM systems this shape is a big headache because on the platforms we've seen,
> the monitoring is done at the memory-controllers - so any RMID spaces get joined
> up eventually.
>
>
>> 4) Monitoring events are I/O cache occupancy, total i/o bandwidth, and i/o miss
>> bandwidth.
>>
>> 5) Current revision (1.4) of the specification doesn't include details of
>> I/O memory bandwidth control (The "IBAD" subtable of ERDT is reserved for this).
>>
>>
>> Fitting this into resctrl
>> -------------------------
>>
>> RISC-V description of "architecture specific device tokens" sounds great.
>> I'll have to find some ares of /sys to provide the mapping of tokens to
>> "device groups".
>> There's no association with IOMMUs, so this will be some
>> other path in /sys. Perhaps under /sys/firmware/acpi since the data comes
>> from ACPI IRDT table.
>
> What about using the device behind the IOMMU instead? Presumably the kernel
> could allocate ids that don't clash with those in the IRDT, and use those
> for the IOMMU.
>
>
>> Need an info file to tell users the format and source for device tokens.
>
> I'd prefer we have one consistent way of doing this across architectures.
> Especially if we're going to add something new to sysfs.
>
>
> The sysfs path probably covers all bases - but I wouldn't want to parse that
> in the kernel.
>
>
>> I'd like to avoid limiting resctrl monitoring of CPU activity due to the small
>> number of I/O RMIDs. Perhaps don't include a "devices" file or mon_data/{i/o
>> events} files in resctrl group directories when rdtgroup::mon::rmid >=
>> num_io_rmids? But that feels clumsy.
>
> I had a half baked idea on how to do this. (which Ben has poked some holes in)
>
> Assigning a device to a ctrl/mon group needs to be able to fail. We can use this
> to re-allocate the RMID into the range the new device can use. The CPU tasks can
> be repainted to use the new value - but the obvious problem is the old data in
> the caches that uses the old RMID.
> As no new traffic will be generated for that RMID, it might be possible to keep
> it associated with the ctrl/mon group (which would now have two RMID) to keep the
> user-space view of the counters correct until the old RMID falls below the
> reallocation threshold, and it can be free'd.
>
> It's worse if we ever needed/wanted to do this with CLOSID. Two CAT bitmaps
> can be configured the same - but MBA doesn't alias in the same way. Tasks would
> be able to burst higher than the configured limit - but the size is limited by
> the size of the caches. And if no new traffic can be generated with the old
> CLOSID/RMID, then the effect can't be made to last forever.
>
>
> For a totally wild suggestion (that I don't think works here) - I had
> mooted having a second mount of resctrl for islands of the SoC where the
> properties are different. I don't think it works in this case as the IO-RMID
> presumably gets seen by some other monitors later.
>
>
>> Domains are based on I/O L3 cache instances. So a new rdt_resource with
>> new line in the schemata file for IOL3 cache masks per domain. In the
>> future when there are I/O MBA controls, new line(s) for those too.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>
>
> [4] https://support.arm.com/documentation/ihi0069/hb/?lang=en search for "MPAM" in the pdf.
>
>>
>> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iommu/20260901140802.1215508-1-xiaqinxin@huawei.com/
>> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20260714130657.46963-1-zhangzhanpeng.jasper@bytedance.com/
>> [3] Linked from the bottom of https://www.intel.com/sdm under "Related Specifications", or
>> direct link: https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/789566?erpm_id=1158389_ts1790091453223
>
>
--
Thanks,
Qinxin
More information about the linux-riscv
mailing list