[PATCH 1/1] riscv: dts: spacemit: set ETH MAC from eeprom for OrangePi

Troy Mitchell troy.mitchell at linux.spacemit.com
Wed Sep 23 18:23:47 PDT 2026


Hi Chukun,

On Wed Sep 23, 2026 at 2:40 PM +08, Chukun Pan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> So checked the code, it's not a direct problem of /alias, but due to the
>> env variable provided to override the mac address, see
>
>> In this case, I don't think it's necessary to drop the ethernet alias,
>> I mean it's totally fine if there is uboot ethaddr env and it wins
>
> Once U-Boot overwrites the MAC address in the DT, of_get_mac_address()
> will return 0, and of_get_mac_address_nvmem() will not be called.
> Then I think this patch is useless.
Please check my reply in this thread [1]. Fetching the MAC address from the bootloader is a
permitted user override, which is not meant to be guaranteed or provided 100% of the
time.

Link: https://lore.kernel.org/all/DLLPWUHF8WRQ.13YQTP32MG59Z@linux.spacemit.com/ [1]

-- 
Troy Mitchell

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 248 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-riscv/attachments/20260924/88c206d9/attachment.sig>


More information about the linux-riscv mailing list