[PATCH v2 21/21] kbuild: use pigz for gzip compression if available

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Sep 15 23:38:33 PDT 2026


On Wed, Sep 16, 2026, at 03:06, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 10:22:20AM +0100, Lorenzo Stoakes (ARM) wrote:
>
> Makefile:
>
> KPGZIP	:= $(if $(shell command -v pigz 2>/dev/null),$(PYTHON3) 
> $(abs_srctree)/scripts/jobserver-exec 
> $(abs_srctree)/scripts/parallel-gzip,gzip)
>
> and the same scripts/parallel-gzip:
>
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	exec pigz -p ${PARALLELISM:-1} "$@"
>
> And then replace the /boot/ KGZIP uses with KPGZIP. Then we don't need
> to change modules, config_data, new users, nor cmd_gzip, etc, which all
> continue to use the regular KGZIP and the "use python" part for the
> KPGZIP case becomes is a 1-time cost?

Nice, I like the idea and this this will work. I didn't know about
scripts/jobserver-exec, but this does seem like a perfect fit.

I checked the other compression tools we support, and found that
zstd is another one that has built-in support for parallel
compression, so we probably want to have it there as well.

     Arnd



More information about the linux-riscv mailing list