[RFC 0/6] Deprecate riscv,isa DT property?

Conor Dooley conor at kernel.org
Sat May 13 14:54:44 PDT 2023

On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 10:34:15PM +0100, Jessica Clarke wrote:
> On 13 May 2023, at 08:47, Anup Patel <apatel at ventanamicro.com> wrote:

> > For DT, users can either use "riscv,isa" DT property or use boolean
> > DT properties.
>
> Can we please not gratuitously have two ways of doing the same thing.

My intention, iff this goes ahead, is to deprecate that property, not
have some 'you can use "riscv,isa" or boolean, whichever you choose'
situation.
Obviously for backwards compatibility reasons parsing it as a fallback
would have be kept in Linux, so in theory a DT based Linux system "can
use either". It would be up to other platforms to decide whether they
would also like to do such a thing.

> I say this as a non-Linux OS that has to deal with whatever Linux
> decides to do with device trees. It is a total nuisance when you flip
> flop on things and we have to follow suit. Please consider the breakage
> very carefully.

I think I said it in my cover & in a later message, that I sent it here
only for first thoughts and my intention is to "send a non-RFC version
of this that also CCs the likes of QEMU, U-Boot & the BSD folk".
It's clearly not something that could be done unilaterally.