Atish is looking at the excessive bouncing

Atish Patra atishp at atishpatra.org
Tue May 2 11:30:26 PDT 2023

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 11:17 AM Palmer Dabbelt <palmer at rivosinc.com> wrote:

> We're not sure what happened, but it looks like a lot of people are
> getting dropped from the list due to excessive bounces.  Seems to have
> started recently, possibly today or over the weekend.  We've always had
> some issues with the bounces, but they're a lot worse.

All the bounces are related to the gmail server which treats genuine
patches as bounce messages.
mailman server disables the membership if it gets too many bounce
backs from the recipient.
It seems the mailman server can't do much about it until the issue is
fixed in the gmail server.
We have increased the bounce threshold significantly in order to avoid
disabling subscriptions.
If you still get one, please reenable it manually. You should receive
one reminder email for that as well.
There is no other solution at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I have included the broader kernel mailing list in the hope to see if
anybody else is also facing similar problems.
It would be great if anybody working for the Google/gmail team can
raise this issue internally.

> Sorry for the headaches.

Regards,
Atish