RISC-V uprobe bug (Was: Re: WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 261 at kernel/bpf/memalloc.c:342)

Nam Cao namcaov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 11:31:43 PDT 2023

On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 08:12:30PM +0200, Nam Cao wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 03:44:48PM +0200, Björn Töpel wrote:
> > Björn Töpel <bjorn at kernel.org> writes:
> >
> > > I'm chasing a workqueue hang on RISC-V/qemu (TCG), using the bpf
> > > selftests on bpf-next 9e3b47abeb8f.
> > >
> > > I'm able to reproduce the hang by multiple runs of:
> > >  | ./test_progs -a link_api -a linked_list
> > > I'm currently investigating that.
> >
> > +Guo for uprobe
> >
> > This was an interesting bug. The hang is an ebreak (RISC-V breakpoint),
> > that puts the kernel into an infinite loop.
> >
> > To reproduce, simply run the BPF selftest:
> > ./test_progs -v -a link_api -a linked_list
> >
> > First the link_api test is being run, which exercises the uprobe
> > functionality. The link_api test completes, and test_progs will still
> > have the uprobe active/enabled. Next the linked_list test triggered a
> > WARN_ON (which is implemented via ebreak as well).
> >
> > Now, handle_break() is entered, and the uprobe_breakpoint_handler()
> > returns true exiting the handle_break(), which returns to the WARN
> > ebreak, and we have merry-go-round.
> >
> > Lucky for the RISC-V folks, the BPF memory handler had a WARN that
> > surfaced the bug! ;-)
>
> Thanks for the analysis.
>
> I couldn't reproduce the problem, so I am just taking a guess here. The problem
> is bebcause uprobes didn't find a probe point at that ebreak instruction. However,
> it also doesn't think a ebreak instruction is there, then it got confused and just
> return back to the ebreak instruction, then everything repeats.
>
> The reason why uprobes didn't think there is a ebreak instruction is because
> is_trap_insn() only returns true if it is a 32-bit ebreak, or 16-bit c.ebreak if
> C extension is available, not both. So a 32-bit ebreak is not correctly recognized
> as a trap instruction.

I feel like I wasn't very clear with this: I was talking about handle_swbp() in
kernel/events/uprobes.c. In this function, the call to find_active_uprobe() should
return false. Then uprobes check if the trap instruction is still there by
calling is_trap_insn(), who correctly says "no". So uprobes assume it is safe to
just comeback to that address. If is_trap_insn() correctly returns true, then
uprobes would know that this is a ebreak, but not a probe, and handle thing correctly.

Best regards,
Nam