dts - linux,usable-memory

Laurentiu-Cristian Duca laurentiu.duca at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 07:33:38 PDT 2023

On 8/2/23, Conor Dooley <conor at kernel.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 04:51:47PM +0300, Laurentiu-Cristian Duca wrote:
>>   my name is laurentiu-cristian duca and i am an open-source enthusiast.
>> lately i have tried to use the linux,usable-memory in the dts memory node
>> and linux freezes.
>>   if i use only reg, linux boots fine.
>>   does anybody used linux,usable-memory and can you show a working
>> example.
>>
>>   here is what i tried
>>         memory at 80000000 {
>>                 device_type = "memory";
>>                 reg = <0x0 0x80000000 0x0 0x700000>;
>>                 //linux,usable-memory = <0x80000000 0x700000>;
>>         };
>
> What are you actually doing when you freeze? A normal boot? Kexec?
> What hardware is this?
> Are you using OpenSBI, and if so what version?
> What version of the kernel is this?

  linux5.13.19 with busybox minimal rootfs, bbl (berkeley boot loader),
hardware fpga board with only uart and memory 8MB
i simulate in verilator the verilog sources and i have success if the
dts has reg.
 when it freezes, i can not see any message in simulation
if you want to, i can send you the sources

  please tell me if the dts memory property is written correctly for
linux,usable-memory

thank you,
laurentiu