In-flight collision: ARCH_WANT_HUGETLB_PAGE_OPTIMIZE_VMEMMAP renaming

Lukas Bulwahn lukas.bulwahn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 02:40:25 PDT 2023

Dear Guo Ren, dear Palmer,

on linux-next, I have noticed that you have submitted and added the
commit a3c7d6b642e4 ("riscv: mm: hugetlb: Enable
ARCH_WANT_HUGETLB_PAGE_OPTIMIZE_VMEMMAP"), that adds the select
ARCH_WANT_HUGETLB_PAGE_OPTIMIZE_VMEMMAP to the RISCV config. As it
seems, Aneesh Kumar K.V has concurrently renamed this config
throughout the tree with commit 215218dddd25 ("mm/hugetlb_vmemmap:
rename ARCH_WANT_HUGETLB_PAGE_OPTIMIZE_VMEMMAP"), but your commit was
not visible to that renaming. When both commits are merged in a common
tree---as happens with linux-next, and will soon happen with Linus'
tree, your commit a3c7d6b642e4 will do nothing (select no existing
config anymore).

It is easy to fix, adjust this one line to the renaming and 'select
ARCH_WANT_OPTIMIZE_VMEMMAP'. For now, I am just reporting to let you
know; probably, it is best to get a quick fix-up patch with -rc2, once
all the changes landed in -rc1.

Best regards,

Lukas