[RFC 01/27] clk: microchip: replace SOC_MICROCHIP_POLARFIRE with ARCH_MICROCHIP

Conor Dooley conor.dooley at microchip.com
Wed Sep 28 05:51:12 PDT 2022

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 05:16:21AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 07:55:40PM +0100, Conor Dooley wrote:
> > From: Conor Dooley <conor.dooley at microchip.com>
> >
> > At LPC, we decided that for the sake of consistency the SOC_FOO symbols
> > in arch/riscv should be replaced with ARCH_FOO so that we could have a
> > consistent policy regardless of whether a vendor had ARM legacy or was
> > a RISC-V "incumbent".
>
> Umm, that's just stupid.  The ARCH_ naming in arm is incorrect and a
> bad idea.  So please move in the correct direction instead even if that
> is more work and more churn.

It's more work for me to change them to ARCH_ than leave them as SOC_.
I don't think _consistency_ is stupid, but given my OCD I am quite
biased there. What is your suggestion for moving incoming ARM vendors
"in the correct direction"?

I would be perfectly happy to change SOC_MICROCHIP_POLARFIRE to
something like SOC_MICROCHIP or SOC_MICROCHIP_FPGA and leave it there
as far as renames go, as long as beyond that there is no ARCH_ARM_VENDOR
+ SOC_ARM_VENDOR muck in the file. Would make the series considerably
smaller as all I would be doing is unifiying how the SOC_ symbols are
being used :)

Thanks,
Conor.