[RFC 00/27] RISC-V: Convert SOC_FOO symbols to ARCH_FOO

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Mon Sep 26 02:04:58 PDT 2022

Hi Conor,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 8:59 PM Conor Dooley <conor at kernel.org> wrote:
> From: Conor Dooley <conor.dooley at microchip.com>
>
> Following on from LPC, here's the start of my efforts to clean up
> Kconfig.socs.
>
> My preference would be to take the whole thing through the RISC-V tree
> for v6.2 to make things a bit less fiddly, but I am sending this as an
> RFC in the hopes of getting some opinions on how the series should be
> split up & merged. I guess it would always be possible to create a few
> immutable branches for the individual subsystems that are being modified
> & take the series through the riscv tree unless we hit a conflict in
> -next. Obiviously for that route, maintainer acks will be needed.

Iff it is decided to make this change, I suggest to do it at the end
of the v6.1-rc1 merge window, or even better, between rc1 and rc2.
That way the affected subsystems can just base their for-v6.2 branches
on v6.1-rc2, and have all renames.

If (a) you postpone this to v6.2, there will be more users to handle,
and (b) you take this through the RISC-V tree, you will miss all newly
introduced users in other subsystem trees.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds