linux-riscv Patchwork Sync-Up Meeting

Björn Töpel bjorn at kernel.org
Mon Oct 24 07:50:44 PDT 2022

Palmer Dabbelt <palmer at dabbelt.com> writes:

> Carlos (from glibc) and I were talking at Plumbers about the patchwork
> sync up meeting they have [1].  This seemed like a generally good idea
> to me at the time, I've been meaning to go to figure out exactly how it
> works but it's at 6am Monday mornings for me so I've yet to make one.
> My original plan was to wait until I'd learned how that works before
> doing a linux-riscv sync meeting, but we were just talking on IRC
> earlier today and I figured let's just go ahead and schedule one as a
> forcing function to make something happen.
>
> The general idea is to get some time blocked off to make sure that the
> patchwork instance stays sufficiently clean to remain useful.  That
> means we're not going to try and actually get the patches reviewed
> during the meeting (that will stay on the lists), but we'll just try to
> make sure that there's enough time blocked off to get the patches
> triaged each week and make sure nothing is slipping through the cracks.
> I'm sure there'll inevitably be discussion on the contents of some
> patches, but as everyone can't participate we'll just need to be sure to
> reflect everything to the mailing lists like we try to do for every
> off-list discussion.
>
> The meeting is open to anyone, I've made a Google Calendar for it that
> should be public [2] but I'm pasting the details here as well:
>
>     linux-riscv Patchwork Sync
>     Wednesday, October 26 · 7:00 – 8:00am
>     Google Meet joining info
>     Video call link: https://meet.google.com/thw-qojt-pbv
>     Or dial: (US) +1 224-572-8535 PIN: 207 556 879 #
>
> Happy to move to something aside from Google Meet, but it's the most
> reliable setup for me these days as it's what we use at work.  If folks
> prefer something else that's fine with me, just say so and I'll try to
> figure out how to sort it out (as long as it runs on a Chromebook, which
> is what I use for video calls).  IIUC the glibc folks also have IRC open
> during the syncs for text, that seems reasonable to me (#riscv on libera
> looks like the best bet to me).
>
> It doesn't start next week as my internet is down at home and I'm
> getting the service swapped over next Wednesday morning, so it'll start
> the week after.  The plan is to have it every week on Wednesday
> mornings, as that'll give us enough time to make sure any critical RC
> patches that get called out can still get reviewed in time for that
> week's PR.

It would be nice have some PW "checks" for the RISC-V trees, like the
netdev/bluetooth patchwork projects do.

I took Jakub's (netdev) NIPA work, and ripped out the netdev specfics,
and added a RISC-V build [3]. Very crude hack, and it's mostly to get
*something* in place to discuss. It would be interesting to hear what
people think (good/bad, what other projects use, etc). Let's talk about
it on Wednesday.

I've put some more things to think about in a gdoc slide deck [4].

Björn

[3] https://github.com/bjoto/nipa/tree/rv
[4] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lcX7L75Rix3kvSOYdLrdWI6YHP1kw-XV_aSmtYIpyZI/edit?usp=sharing