Tickless timer regression in v5.18.3 on riscv

Eva Kotova nyandarknessgirl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 00:43:39 PDT 2022

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 8:59 PM Anup Patel <anup at brainfault.org> wrote:
 > I suggest we introduce an optional "riscv,timer-always-on" DT
 > property for each HART. If all HART DT nodes have this property then
 > we don't set C3STOP flag in clockevent device, else we set it.

Is there any particular reason not to implement the opposite DT property
"riscv,timer-s3stop" for timers that stop in suspend?
Right now, this patch breaks the behavior of previously fine working
boards (worse sleep precision, higher idle consumption), and these
boards have none of the mentioned issues, so why should they degrade
after a kernel update?
The CLINT timer is already well-defined and worked for years, i don't
see how suspend issues on particular hardware can justify going against
the official spec.

I do really think this should be addressed by the platform SBI
implementation (that's why SBI exists after all?..) or DT properties for
suspend-affected hardware, not finding holes in SBI spec and introducing
fragmentation in the SW ecosystem.