[RFC 00/32] Kconfig: Introduce HAS_IOPORT and LEGACY_PCI options

Niklas Schnelle schnelle at linux.ibm.com
Thu Jan 6 23:21:41 PST 2022

On Thu, 2022-01-06 at 17:45 +0000, John Garry wrote:
> Hi Niklas,
>
> On 27/12/2021 16:42, Niklas Schnelle wrote:
> > I performed the following testing:
> >
> > - On s390 this series on top of v5.16-rc7 builds with allyesconfig i.e. the
> >    HAS_IOPORT=n case.
>
> Are you sure that allyesconfig gives HAS_IOPORT=n? Indeed I see no
> mechanism is always disallow HAS_IOPORT for s390 (which I think we would
> want).
>
> > It also builds with defconfig and the resulting kernel
> >    appears fully functional including tests with PCI devices.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnw

I checked again by adding

config HAS_IOPORT
       def_bool n

in arch/s390/Kconfig and that doesn't seem to make a difference,
allyesconfig builds all the same. Also checked for CONFIG_HAS_IOPORT in
my .config and that isn't listed with or without the above addition.

I think this is because without a help text there is no "config
question" and thus nothing that allyesconfig would set to yes. I do
agree though that it's better to be explicit and add the above to those
Kconfigs that don't support HAS_IOPORT.
Thanks,
Niklas