[RFC PULL] remove arch/h8300

Greg Ungerer gerg at linux-m68k.org
Fri Apr 8 21:14:08 PDT 2022

On 9/4/22 10:24, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 4/5/22 08:07, Greg Ungerer wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed this and I am working on fixing it up for a new Dragonball
>>> homebrew machine.
>>> I'm trying to add a 68000 machine to QEMU to make the development
>>> easier because I'm currently waiting an hour or more for a kernel to
>>> load over serial.
>>> It might be a few months.
>
> I've been booting Linux on qemu-system-m68k -M q800 for a couple years now? (The
> CROSS=m68k target of mkroot in toybox?)
>
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> CPU:		68040
> MMU:		68040
> FPU:		68040
> Clocking:	1261.9MHz
> BogoMips:	841.31
> Calibration:	4206592 loops
>
> It certainly THINKS it's got m68000...
>
> $ qemu-system-m68k -cpu ?
> cfv4e
> m5206
> m5208
> m68000
> m68010
> m68020
> m68030
> m68040
> m68060
> any
>
> (I'd love to get an m68k nommu system working but never sat down and worked out
> a kernel .config qemu agreed to run, plus compiler and libc. Musl added m68k
> support but I dunno if that includes coldfire?)

I run and test all development rc and release kernels on the qemu m5208 target
(that is a ColdFire v2 nommu core, the "-machine mcf5208evb" qemu target).
Of course I test real hardware as well :-)

The kernel's m5208evb_defconfig works for qemu. Though you will need to sort
out a user space to get to a login/shell. I mostly use the last uClibc for
that.

>>> It looked like 68328serial.c was removed because someone tried to
>>> clean it up and it was decided that no one was using it and it was
>>> best to delete it.
>>> My plan was to at some point send a series to fix up the issues with
>>> the Dragonball support, revert removing the serial driver and adding
>>> the patch that cleaned it up.
>>
>> Nice. I will leave all the 68000/68328 code alone for now then.
>
> The q800 config uses CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG. Seems to work fine?

Sure, but the Dragonball are a 68328 SoC family. Its serial hardware block
is different, needs a different driver. At least all the ColdFire parts
use the same internal hardware serial block.

Regards
Greg