[RFC PULL] remove arch/h8300

Daniel Palmer daniel at 0x0f.com
Fri Apr 8 20:37:36 PDT 2022

Hi Rob,

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 09:20, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> I've been booting Linux on qemu-system-m68k -M q800 for a couple years now? (The
> CROSS=m68k target of mkroot in toybox?)
>
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> CPU:            68040
> MMU:            68040
> FPU:            68040
> Clocking:       1261.9MHz
> BogoMips:       841.31
> Calibration:    4206592 loops
>
> It certainly THINKS it's got m68000...

I couldn't work out how to define a mc68000 machine on the command line alone.
There might be a way but it didn't seem like it.

> (I'd love to get an m68k nommu system working but never sat down and worked out
> a kernel .config qemu agreed to run, plus compiler and libc. Musl added m68k
> support but I dunno if that includes coldfire?)

Once I get QEMU to emulate a simple mc68000 system my plan is to get
u-boot going (I managed to get it to build for plain mc68000 but I
didn't get far enough with the QEMU bit to try booting it yet) then
put together the buildroot configs to build qemu, u-boot, a kernel and
rootfs that just work. Then I can hook it into CI and have it build
and boot test automatically and it won't bit rot anymore.

> >> It looked like 68328serial.c was removed because someone tried to
> >> clean it up and it was decided that no one was using it and it was
> >> best to delete it.
> >> My plan was to at some point send a series to fix up the issues with
> >> the Dragonball support, revert removing the serial driver and adding
> >> the patch that cleaned it up.
> >
> > Nice. I will leave all the 68000/68328 code alone for now then.
>
> The q800 config uses CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG. Seems to work fine?

Dragonball uses a weird UART that doesn't seem to be compatible with
any of the common ones so it needs its own driver.

Cheers,

Daniel