Status of the various RISC-V specification and policy

Palmer Dabbelt palmer at dabbelt.com
Thu Sep 30 10:30:08 PDT 2021

On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 08:06:42 PDT (-0700), markhimelstein at riscv.org wrote:
> Palmer,
>

> Thank you for your input.
>

> Our strong intention is to not change specs once frozen. I speak for the
> committees here and say that, in our opinion, declaring something frozen
> sets a very high bar for making any changes and is sufficient to allow code
> supporting an extension to be upstreamed. Of course if an unexpected and
> significant issue is discovered during the public review that absolutely
> must be addressed and cannot be deferred to a future extension (where the
> cost of not addressing the issue exceeds the cost of addressing it. for
> example introduces security vulnerabilities), then we will do so, as anyone
> should expect from a public review.
>

> We do not have versions of extensions. If an extension has a problem once
> ratified, we will issue errata. All implementers have to publish the errata
> if they use branding. We may release a new extension with the bulk of the
> original extension plus the errata fix at some future date.

This is probably at the core of my confusion here.

At the preface of the user ISA there is a table with the headings
"Extension", "Version", and "Frozen"; contains a list of letters that
look like extension name; and contains a list of numbers that look like
versions of those extensions.

That nomenclature seems to carry on to some more recent specifications.
For example the first page of
https://github.com/riscv/riscv-v-spec/releases/download/v1.0/riscv-v-spec-1.0.pdf
(tagged 11 days ago) is

    RISC-V "V" Vector Extension
    Version 1.0

I'm happy to answer the rest of the questions here, but I think trying
to get on the same page about what is versioned and is proabbly the
first step because that's a pretty key component of my worries.