arch/riscv/staging

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Fri May 28 02:37:02 PDT 2021

On 28/05/21 11:24, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> Ok, as it sounds like this isn't going anywhere until the spec group
> gets their work done, you all should just wait as there's no real need
> for any kernel code here either, given that there can't be any hardware
> made until the spec is finished anyway.

There's need for kernel code so that userspace tooling can be built upon
it.  Not having the header files in Linus's tree makes it harder to
merge RISC-V KVM support in userspace.  KVM shields userspace from any
future changes to the hypervisor specification; the userspace API *is*
based exclusively on ratified specifications and there's no risk of
breaking the ABI.

I'd like RISC-V KVM to be feature complete when hardware does come out,
and not having the code upstream makes it harder to both write and
review new features and optimizations (e.g. finish support for hugetlb
and transparent huge pages, possibly parallel page faults).  For now you
can test the code on both simulators and emulators.

Paolo