[syzbot] BUG: unable to handle kernel access to user memory in schedule_tail

Ben Dooks ben.dooks at codethink.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 21:38:39 GMT 2021

On 13/03/2021 07:20, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> [...]
>> bit does. I thought if it is set, M->U accesses would fault, which is
>> why it gets set early on. But from reading the uaccess code it looks
>> like the uaccess code sets it on entry and then clears on exit.
>>
>> I am very confused. Is there a master reference for rv64?
>>
>> https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~krste/papers/riscv-privileged-v1.9.pdf
>> seems to state PUM is the SR_SUM bit, and that (if set) disabled
>>
>> Quote:
>>    The PUM (Protect User Memory) bit modifies the privilege with which
>> S-mode loads, stores, and instruction fetches access virtual memory.
>> When PUM=0, translation and protection behave as normal. When PUM=1,
>> S-mode memory accesses to pages that are accessible by U-mode (U=1 in
>> Figure 4.19) will fault. PUM has no effect when executing in U-mode

>>> Still no luck for the moment, can't reproduce it locally, my test is
>>> maybe not that good (I created threads all day long in order to trigger
>>> the put_user of schedule_tail).
>>
>> It may of course depend on memory and other stuff. I did try to see if
>> it was possible to clone() with the child_tid address being a valid but
>> not mapped page...
>>
>>> Given that the path you mention works most of the time, and that the
>>> status register in the stack trace shows the SUM bit is not set whereas
>>> it is set in put_user, I'm leaning toward some race condition (maybe an
>>> interrupt that arrives at the "wrong" time) or a qemu issue as you
>>> mentioned.
>>
>> I suppose this is possible. From what I read it should get to the
>> point of being there with the SUM flag cleared, so either something
>> went wrong in trying to fix the instruction up or there's some other
>> error we're missing.
>>
>>> To eliminate qemu issues, do you have access to some HW ? Or to
>>> different qemu versions ?
>>
>> I do have access to a Microchip Polarfire board. I just need the
>> instructions on how to setup the test-code to make it work on the
>> hardware.
>
> For full syzkaller support, it would need to know how to reboot these
> boards and get access to the console.
> syzkaller has a stop-gap VM backend which just uses ssh to a physical
> machine and expects the kernel to reboot on its own after any crashes.
>
> But I actually managed to reproduce it in an even simpler setup.
> Assuming you have Go 1.15 and riscv64 cross-compiler gcc installed
>
> $ go get -u -d github.com/google/syzkaller/...
> $ cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/google/syzkaller
> $ make stress executor TARGETARCH=riscv64
> $ scp bin/linux_riscv64/syz-execprog bin/linux_riscv64/syz-executor
> your_machine:/
>
> Then run ./syz-stress on the machine.
> On the first run it crashed it with some other bug, on the second run
> I got the crash in schedule_tail.
> With qemu tcg I also added -slowdown=10 flag to syz-stress to scale
> all timeouts, if native execution is faster, then you don't need it.

Ok, not sure what's going on. I get a lot of errors similar to:

> 2021/03/15 21:35:20 transitively unsupported: ioctl$SNAPSHOT_CREATE_IMAGE: no syscalls can create resource fd_snapshot, enable some syscalls that can create it [openat$snapshot]

Followed by:

> 2021/03/15 21:35:48 executed 0 programs
> 2021/03/15 21:35:48 failed to create execution environment: failed to mmap shm file: invalid argument

The qemu is 5.2.0 and root is Debian/unstable riscv64 (same as chroot
used to build the syz tools)

--
Ben Dooks				http://www.codethink.co.uk/
Senior Engineer				Codethink - Providing Genius

https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html