[syzbot] BUG: unable to handle kernel access to user memory in schedule_tail

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Sat Mar 13 07:20:57 GMT 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 9:12 PM Ben Dooks <ben.dooks at codethink.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12/03/2021 16:25, Alex Ghiti wrote:
> >

> > Le 3/12/21 à 10:12 AM, Dmitry Vyukov a écrit :

> >> I would maybe blame qemu for randomly resetting SR_SUM, but it's
> >> strange that 99% of these crashes are in schedule_tail. If it would be
> >> qemu, then they would be more evenly distributed...
> >>
> >> Another observation: looking at a dozen of crash logs, in none of
> >> these cases fuzzer was actually trying to fuzz clone with some insane
> >> arguments. So it looks like completely normal clone's (e..g coming
> >> from pthread_create) result in this crash.
> >>
> >> I also wonder why there is ret_from_exception, is it normal? I see
> >> handle_exception disables SR_SUM:
> >
> > csrrc does the right thing: it cleans SR_SUM bit in status but saves the
> > previous value that will get correctly restored.
> >
> > ("The CSRRC (Atomic Read and Clear Bits in CSR) instruction reads the
> > value of the CSR, zero-extends the value to XLEN bits, and writes it to
> > integer registerrd.  The initial value in integerregisterrs1is treated
> > as a bit mask that specifies bit positions to be cleared in the CSR. Any
> > bitthat is high inrs1will cause the corresponding bit to be cleared in
> > the CSR, if that CSR bit iswritable.  Other bits in the CSR are
> > unaffected.")
>
> I think there may also be an understanding issue on what the SR_SUM
> bit does. I thought if it is set, M->U accesses would fault, which is
> why it gets set early on. But from reading the uaccess code it looks
> like the uaccess code sets it on entry and then clears on exit.
>
> I am very confused. Is there a master reference for rv64?
>
> https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~krste/papers/riscv-privileged-v1.9.pdf
> seems to state PUM is the SR_SUM bit, and that (if set) disabled
>
> Quote:
>   The PUM (Protect User Memory) bit modifies the privilege with which
> S-mode loads, stores, and instruction fetches access virtual memory.
> When PUM=0, translation and protection behave as normal. When PUM=1,
> S-mode memory accesses to pages that are accessible by U-mode (U=1 in
> Figure 4.19) will fault. PUM has no effect when executing in U-mode
>

> >> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.12-rc2/source/arch/riscv/kernel/entry.S#L73
> >>

> > Still no luck for the moment, can't reproduce it locally, my test is
> > maybe not that good (I created threads all day long in order to trigger
> > the put_user of schedule_tail).
>
> It may of course depend on memory and other stuff. I did try to see if
> it was possible to clone() with the child_tid address being a valid but
> not mapped page...
>
> > Given that the path you mention works most of the time, and that the
> > status register in the stack trace shows the SUM bit is not set whereas
> > it is set in put_user, I'm leaning toward some race condition (maybe an
> > interrupt that arrives at the "wrong" time) or a qemu issue as you
> > mentioned.
>
> I suppose this is possible. From what I read it should get to the
> [...]

For full syzkaller support, it would need to know how to reboot these
boards and get access to the console.
syzkaller has a stop-gap VM backend which just uses ssh to a physical
machine and expects the kernel to reboot on its own after any crashes.

But I actually managed to reproduce it in an even simpler setup.
Assuming you have Go 1.15 and riscv64 cross-compiler gcc installed

$ go get -u -d github.com/google/syzkaller/...
$ cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/google/syzkaller
$ make stress executor TARGETARCH=riscv64
$ scp bin/linux_riscv64/syz-execprog bin/linux_riscv64/syz-executor
your_machine:/

Then run ./syz-stress on the machine.
On the first run it crashed it with some other bug, on the second run
I got the crash in schedule_tail.
With qemu tcg I also added -slowdown=10 flag to syz-stress to scale
all timeouts, if native execution is faster, then you don't need it.