[syzbot] BUG: unable to handle kernel access to user memory in schedule_tail

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Fri Mar 12 17:34:48 GMT 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 5:36 PM Ben Dooks <ben.dooks at codethink.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12/03/2021 16:34, Ben Dooks wrote:

> >> So I think if SR_SUM is set, then it faults the access to user memory
> >> which the _user() routines clear to allow them access.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking there is at least one issue here:
> >>
> >> - the test in fault is the wrong way around for die kernel
> >> - the handler only catches this if the page has yet to be mapped.
> >>
> >> So I think the test should be:
> >>
> >>          if (!user_mode(regs) && addr < TASK_SIZE &&
> >>                          unlikely(regs->status & SR_SUM)
> >>
> >> This then should continue on and allow the rest of the handler to
> >> complete mapping the page if it is not there.
> >>
> >> I have been trying to create a very simple clone test, but so far it
> >> has yet to actually trigger anything.
> >
> > I should have added there doesn't seem to be a good way to use mmap()
> > to allocate memory but not insert a vm-mapping post the mmap().
> >
> How difficult is it to try building a branch with the above test
> modified?

I don't have access to hardware, I don't have other qemu versions ready to use.
But I can teach you how to run syzkaller locally :)
I am not sure anybody run it on real riscv hardware at all. When
Tobias ported syzkaller, Tobias also used qemu I think.

I am now building with an inverted check to test locally.

I don't fully understand but this code, but does handle_exception
reset SR_SUM around do_page_fault? If so, then looking at SR_SUM in
do_page_fault won't work with positive nor negative check.