Question regarding "boot-hartid" DT node

Heinrich Schuchardt heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com
Sat Dec 4 11:03:10 PST 2021

On 12/4/21 19:34, Atish Patra wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 8:24 PM Anup Patel <anup at brainfault.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 7:17 AM Heinrich Schuchardt
>> <heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com> wrote:

>>> There is nothing technical stopping us from implementing either option.
>>>
>>> We could simply reuse the EFI Device Tree Fixup Protocol
>>> (https://github.com/U-Boot-EFI/EFI_DT_FIXUP_PROTOCOL) implemented in
>>> U-Boot and already used by systemd-boot. Pass a devicetree (which may be
>>> empty) to the Fixup() method and it will add the /chosen node with the
>>> boot-hartid parameter.
>>>
>>> The EFI stub anyway creates a new device-tree to pass the memory map to
>>> the kernel in the ACPI case (function update_fdt()). Calling the EFI
>>> Device Tree Fixup Protocol could be easily added.
>
> Thanks. Yes. We can solve the current problem for EFI stub in Linux.
>

>> Are you suggesting that DTB (skeletal or full-blown) will always be there when
>> booting the kernel as an EFI application ? If yes then we are
>> indirectly mandating
>> skeletal DTB for UEFI+ACPI system.
>
> Yes. EFI Stub tries to find a fdt from the command line (not a
> preferred method) or EFI configuration table[1]
> (currently used for RISC-V systems). If it can't find a device tree,
> it generates one [2]
>
> [1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.16-rc3/source/drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/efi-stub.c#L231
> [2] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.16-rc3/source/drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/fdt.c#L58
>
> However, we may still need to define the RISC-V EFI protocol to
> support ACPI for other OS (FreeBSD) which doesn't have
> a stub like loader that uses DT.
>
> In that case, where should we document it ? UEFI spec or RISC-V platform spec ?

Defining EFI protocols outside the UEFI spec has precedents, e.g. the
EFI_TCG2_PROTOCOL is defined in a specification hosted by the Trusted
Computing Group.

The UEFI Forum prefers an implemention first approach. We should
demonstrate with a patched EDK II or U-Boot and a patched Linux that
what we define is working before creating a change request.

Let's start with a draft protocol specification on Github and then
develop the necessary patches.

Best regards

Heinrich