Question regarding "boot-hartid" DT node

Heinrich Schuchardt heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com
Sat Dec 4 00:38:47 PST 2021

On 12/4/21 05:24, Anup Patel wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 7:17 AM Heinrich Schuchardt
> <heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com> wrote:

>>> Yes!! Thanks for refreshing the memory. It seems after 2 years, we are
>>> still debating the same topic :).
>>> Let me summarize the thread. There are multiple ways for EFI stub code
>>> to retrieve the boot hartid.
>>>
>>> 1. EFI variables - This is what Henerich proposed last time. Ard
>>> suggested that EFI configuration tables are better candidates than EFI
>>> variables.
>>> 2. DT modification - This was preferred over the configuration table
>>> at that time given because RISC-V was DT only at that time.
>>>                                    We already had all the infrastructure
>>> around DT. Thus, DT seemed to be a natural choice then.
>>>                                    It works now for existing setup
>>> however, the DT approach will not work for systems with ACPI support.
>>>                                    Adding a similar entry in ACPI tables
>>> is possible but adding ACPI support in EFI stub is not trivial.
>>> 3. SMBIOS - Only for platforms with SMBIOS support. SMBIOS is not
>>> mandatory and adding SMBIOS support in EFI stub is not trivial.
>>> 4. SBI         -  As I mentioned before, this is an EFI specific
>>> problem because EFI stub doesn't know what the boot hartid is. Thus,
>>> it should be solved
>>>                         in an EFI specific way. An SBI extension for
>>> such features may not be acceptable as the non-EFI booting method
>>> works fine without the SBI extension.
>>> 5. RISC-V specific EFI configuration table or protocol: Ard suggested
>>> EFI configuration table last time. Earlier in this thread, EFI
>>> protocol was suggested.
>>>                         My personal preference has always been one of
>>> these as it solves the problem for all EFI booting methods
>>>                         for platforms-os
>>> combination(DT/ACPI-Linux/FreeBSD) in an EFI specific way.
>>>
>>> @Heinrich: Do you see any issue with the EFI configuration table or
>>> protocol to retrieve the boot hartid?
>>
>> There is nothing technical stopping us from implementing either option.
>>
>> We could simply reuse the EFI Device Tree Fixup Protocol
>> (https://github.com/U-Boot-EFI/EFI_DT_FIXUP_PROTOCOL) implemented in
>> U-Boot and already used by systemd-boot. Pass a devicetree (which may be
>> empty) to the Fixup() method and it will add the /chosen node with the
>> boot-hartid parameter.
>>
>> The EFI stub anyway creates a new device-tree to pass the memory map to
>> the kernel in the ACPI case (function update_fdt()). Calling the EFI
>> Device Tree Fixup Protocol could be easily added.
>
> Are you suggesting that DTB (skeletal or full-blown) will always be there when
> booting the kernel as an EFI application ? If yes then we are
> indirectly mandating
> skeletal DTB for UEFI+ACPI system.

The boot-hartid uses to be the hartid of the current thread. Are
operating systems supposed to support boot-hartid to relate to another
hardware thread then the current one? If the boot-hartid can differ from
the current thread, what would be the source of truth? Is there any
formal specification defining what the boot-hartid is and how it shall
be used? Is there any formal specification which defines the transfer of
the boot-hartid in the boot flow?

I only found this in the OpenSBI documentation:

The DT properties of a domain instance DT node are as follows:
* **boot-hart** (Optional) - The DT node phandle of the HART booting the
domain instance. If coldboot HART is assigned to the domain instance
then this DT property is ignored and the coldboot HART is assumed to be
the boot HART of the domain instance.

The only piece of software that cares about the boot-hartid property is
neither the SBI nor the UEFI firmware nor the EFI stub but the main OS
kernel. Carrying the current hartid from boot stage to boot stage via
register and DTB entry looks like a poor design decision. Instead of
relying on a chain of transfers it would preferable that whoever in the
boot chain wants to know the current hartid requests it from the source
of truth.

The source of truth for the current hardware thread is the value of the
mhartid CSR. Unfortunately this can only be read in M-mode. It could be
made available via the SBI. I see no reason why the operating system or
hypervisor should not see the hartid of a software thread at any time.

If we decide to make the current design more complex by using an EFI
protocol, we have to decide if we want to reuse an existing one, or
introduce a new one.

We already have an existing protocol in U-Boot which could do the job
and which uses a dtb as transfer format. Internally OpenSBI, U-Boot and
Linux always use a device-tree. But this does not hold true for other
software like EDK II. We could instead define a new protocol which uses
a uint64_t parameter and does not require support for the flattened
devicetree format.

My preferred choice would be getting rid of multiple transfers and
letting the piece of software that needs the information read the
boot-hartid directly from wherever the source of truth is.

Best regards

Heinrich