Looking for a Roadmap / TODOs

Alex Ghiti alex at ghiti.fr
Sat Dec 19 04:54:35 EST 2020

Hi Varad,

Le 12/17/20 à 1:43 PM, Atish Patra a écrit :
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 4:26 AM Varad Gautam <varadgautam at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi linux-riscv developers,
>>
>> I'm interested in getting involved with kernel development on the
>> platform. ATM, I only have qemu available (no real hw), but I suppose
>> that could be a good start.
>>
>> I've started looking into enabling CONFIG_RELOCATABLE +
>> CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE as a first task, since I found these missing on
>> for-next [1].
>>

> Alex had a series on enabling CONFIG_RELOCATBLE [1]
> Zong had a series on enabling CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE[2] as a part of kaslr.
>
> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/6/7/30
> [2]https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/3/24/131

I did not have time recently to work on RELOCATABLE kernel, but that now
changed and I'm going to pursue this work.

But you can see that my last patchset was not well received, so a fresh
look could be great.

So maybe you could:

- review my last patchset v5 (and take a look at what I tried before in
the previous versions) and check how other archs implement relocatability
- review Zong's KASLR implementation and see how KASLR could fit on top
of my v5

And all along this process, we can discuss to find the best approach.

On my side, I will now rebase my work on top of master to refresh my
memories and I will share a branch here when it works.

Thanks for proposing to help, relocatable kernel prevents sv48 and KASLR
implementation to be integrated so that would be great to "fix" this.

Alex