[sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device

Pintu Kumar pintu.ping at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 06:12:11 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 6:10 AM Palmer Dabbelt <palmer at sifive.com> wrote:

> > ... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
> > instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
> > handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
> > included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.
>
> Your best bet today is to run 4.19-rc8, which should be pretty stable.

Yes, I checked with mainline linux-kernel 4.19.
Now I am able to boot successfully and login into qemu-riscv shell.
Thank you so much :)

But I am curious to know what changes resulted into this fix, in 4.19 kernel ?
Which is the exact patch in mainline, that fixes this issue?
Because at times during the development, it will be difficult to
simply upgrade the kernel version.
So, I wanted to stick to 4.18 itself, however I can back port the
patches from 4.19 to fix the issue.
So, if you can point me to the exact patch, it will be of great help.

Thanks,
Pintu