[sw-dev] Re: [isa-dev] riscv-qemu - linux boot is failing for vda device

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 14:14:51 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 09:26:20AM +1300, 'Michael Clark' via RISC-V SW Dev wrote:
> Dropping isa-dev, adding sw-dev
>
> > On 16/10/2018, at 3:00 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to setup riscv-qemu booting on a new Ubuntu PC.
> > I dont want to use freedom-u-sdk, so I am preparing my own environment.
> > I could able to build the following:
> > - riscv-toolchain
> > - riscv-linux
> > - riscv-qemu
> > - riscv-pk
> > - busybear
> >
> > After that, I am trying to boot riscv-qemu, using the following command:
> > # sudo qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -machine virt -kernel
> > PK/riscv-pk/build/bbl -append "root=/dev/vda ro console=ttyS0" -drive
> > file=busybear.bin,format=raw,id=hd0 -device
> > virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0
>
> Note: sudo is not required. sudo is used in the busybear start-qemu.sh script as it uses bridged networking. The latest version of busybear points at linux-4.19-rc5 so the issue may have been fixed.
>
> > But, I am getting kernel panic.
> >
> > ---------
> > bbl loader
> > Linux version 4.18.0-rc6...

It's a bit of a guess, but could this be the upstream kernel?  The
latest riscv-linux is 4.18.0 (not -rc6).

The reason I say it might be the upstream kernel is because ...

> > virtio_blk: probe of virtio0 failed with error -22

... I saw this exact error when I was using the upstream kernel
instead of the one which supported interrupt handling.  Interrupt
handling for RISC-V was added upstream after 4.18 so wouldn't be
included in upstream 4.18.0-rc6.

Rich.