PMFS and Linux 4.0 DAX

Jack Harvard jack.harvard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 06:25:09 PDT 2015

Hi Matthew,

I'm just trying to understand more, not trying to disagree but trying
to be convinced. As you said there's no big win to be had by enabling
byte access to filesystem metadata that are stored on the persistent
memory, presumably you have measured such across a range of workloads?
including file utilities such as mv, rename, touch etc which do only
meta data manipulations as mentioned in the PMFS paper.

I suppose the persistency support still needs to be built on top of
the DAX, or does the file APIs like read() and write() have been
rewritten with such, which would need to support different
architectures if ext4 already worked with a few architectures.

Thanks

Jack
Jack Harvard