Running pmfs in VMs

Zuckerman, Boris borisz at hp.com
Mon Mar 24 20:20:30 EDT 2014

Matthew,

That time I was looking for a quick answer on how technically configure a VM, so a guest Linux OS would act correctly on memmap and pmfs's  physaddr would point to physical memory, rather than to a virtualized space.

You are absolutely correct about logical sharing of disk/memory spaces in clustered file systems. They know how to coordinate lock, updates and invalidate caches.
I had some experience allowing sharing of ext3 volumes when one host had the RW access and other hosts had RO access to "stable" objects. That was based on delegating and invalidating revoked regions.

PMFS was a very attractive and easy target for "clusterizing". It did not have much of the meta cache, had well isolated locking primitives. One use case for a clustered PMFS-like solution is logical isolation of user apps and components of a distributed name space. Another is multi-host shared PM.

It would be desirable to build a PM based locking service, so we would not have to use network for coordination.

Regards, Boris