module loading ignores install script

Orm Finnendahl o.finnendahl at mh-freiburg.de
Sun Jan 24 09:11:16 EST 2010

Hi all,

 I'm trying to convince my laptop to start a custom script on
inserting a pc express audio interface card.

The card is a special soundcard which needs (and loads) a module
called "snd-hdsp".

I added an "install" option into a modprobe.d/... config file which
loads the module and executes the script afterwards. Using "modprobe
snd-hdsp" works as expected: It loads the module *and* executes the
script.

When I unload the module and insert the pc express card, the
module snd-hdsp gets loaded automatically, but the script isn't
executed. Doing "rmmod snd-hdsp && modprobe snd-hdsp" executes the
script. Somehow the pcmcia hotplug mechanism seems to circumvent the
modprobe configuration.

Where do I have to tell the hotplug system to actually execute the
script when inserting the card?

BTW: The laptop is on Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-16

Thx in advance,
Orm