from 2.4 Card Services to 2.6 linux-pcmcia

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Tue Dec 14 11:44:33 EST 2010

Hey,

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:25:26PM +0100, Guy Léonis wrote:
> Sorry to disturb you, it is by now only a documentation issue.
> In the frame of a European Space Agency project, I am in charge of porting a third-party PCMCIA driver (for a very specific and rare card) from kernel 2.4 (Card Services) to kernel 2.6 (linux-pcmcia and PCMCIA utils).
> I was able to find the perfect HOWTO from David Hinds for the Card Services.
> I am looking for an equivalent HOWTO for 2.6 PCMCIA implementation; I need a lot more than the mini-HOWTO I could find on the WEB (http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/pcmcia.html).
> I am looking also for a document giving a 'strategy' to do the migration or giving the differences between the two implementations.

Within the kernel sources, you can find a file
Documentation/pcmcia/driver-changes.txt , which outlines the most important
changes from a device driver's perspective. As you asked for an URL, here it
is:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/pcmcia/driver-changes.txt;h=dd04361dd361afe814b98eb46942924bda757f17;hb=HEAD

Please note that this reflects the most current kernel version, depending on
your target, not all changes are necessary. I recommend using 2.6.36 or
later kernels, though.

These changes were done iteratively -- the 2.6. PCMCIA implementation
therefore is still based on David Hinds' implementation for 2.4 (and
earlier).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact this list (or
me).

Best,