u_long static_start versus resource_size_t

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Jun 3 17:15:15 EDT 2009

Steven A. Falco wrote:

> So, has anyone else run into this?  Is my hack at all correct, or
> should I attempt to work up a patch changing static_start to a
> phys_addr_t or resource_size_t?

I waited to see if anyone more knowledgeable would answer, but as no
one seems to have bit, my recommendation is that you change
static_start from a u_long to a phys_addr_t, and not do a hack for
your driver. For most architectures, this should be a no-op.

In testing this, I suggest that you configure the ten, or so, drivers
in drivers/pcmcia that actually use this quantity, and run a sparse
("make C=2") run on that directory to make certain that the value
isn't being written into a 32-bit word somewhere.

Larry