Verifying that PCMCIA is working

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Feb 3 16:05:33 EST 2009

Russell Bell wrote:
> I just obtained a new PCMCIA card, a generic PCMCIA-USB
> adaptor that allegedly uses a VIA VT6212 chipset.
>
> My computer, a Thinkpad A30p, linux 2.6.28, doesn't detect
> it.
>
> lspci reports the Ricoh cardbus bridge but no inserted card.
>
> The pcmcia, yenta_socket, rsrc_nonstatic modules are
> loaded.
>
> pccardctl reports no card present.
>
> Nothing in /var/log records anything happening on
> insertion or removal, even though I have enabled
> pcmcia_debug in the kernel.  I also have usb_debug
> enabled; it doesn't detect the extra host.
>
> The card works in a Windozze machine (not mine: I don't
> have Windozzzzzze).
>
> I have no other PCMCIA cards.
>
> How do I tell if my PCMCIA host is working? It did a few
> years ago when I had ethernet and wireless PCMCIA
> cards.

If you boot with the card in the slot, is it recognized as being
there? For some time, I have had to plug/unplug/plug to get
yenta_socket to see my cards if I plug/unplug after booting. All is OK
if present at boot. I have not had time to debug this regression;
however, it goes back a long ways.

Larry