IBM Bluetooth PC Card II - configuration problem

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Tue Dec 29 12:14:53 EST 2009

Hey,

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 12:55:05PM +0100, Szigetvári János wrote:
> I have recently bought a Bluetooth PC Card, and I'd like to make it
> work under Linux.
> It identifies itself as follows:
>
> # pccardctl info
> PRODID_1="IBM"
> PRODID_2="Bluetooth PC Card II"
> PRODID_3=""
> PRODID_4=""
> MANFID=0105,4254
> FUNCID=254
>
> I have found an old mailing-list thread about this kind of card here:
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.pcmcia.devel/2003-04/msg00001.html
>
> I have managed to create a modified version of the CIS, to identify
> the card correctly, and have followed the instructions to force the
> system to read my modified version of the CIS, in order to handle the
> card correctly.
> In the mailing-list thread, there stands, that I should add the
> following few lines to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:
>
> card "IBM Bluetooth"
> manfid 0x0105, 0x4254
> cis "cis/IBMBT.dat"
> bind "serial_cs"

This won't work for recent 2.6. kernels. Instead, you have two options:

a) (ugly) manually telling the kernel to use a new CIS:

# (as root)
# cat cis/IBMBT.dat > /sys/class/pcmcia_socket/pcmcia_socket0/cis

b) (preferred) patching the kernel to handle the case correctly.

Add a line to drivers/serial/serial_cs.c:serial_ids[] containing

	PCMCIA_DEVICE_CIS_MANF_CARD(0x0105, 0x4254, "cis/IBMBT.cis")

rename IBMBT.dat to IBMBT.cis in the /lib/firmware/cis directory and submit
a patch adding cis/IBMBT.cis and the line to drivers/serial/serial_cs.c for
inclusion into the Linux kernel.

Best,