2.6.28-rc2: new PCMCIA device instance after resume - orinoco can't download firmware

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Wed Oct 29 11:19:16 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > Do you have any idea what could it be? Original message is here:
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=122522165719760&w=2
>
> This probably is a result of the fact that we don't include firmware blobs
> into modular drivers any more.  Please try to compile your driver directly
> into the kernel and enable CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL.
>
> If this helps, we'll know what the problem is.

Ehh ... you miss the point. The problem is NOT missing firmware (I have
already been running with external firmware just fine in 2.6.27). The
problem is that during resume instead of simply resume *existing*
device/driver instance PCMCIA suddenly decides to re-discover the *same*
device yet another again.

This is not supposed to happen. I do not see any changes in
drivers/pcmcia that could be responsible for it - so I suspect there could
be some overall power management changes.

And personally I'd rather turned on debugging options; bisecting will
take ages here. I need some advice which options to turn on.