pcnet_cs: use axnet_cs instead

Diego Rondini panda84 at inwind.it
Fri Jan 25 13:01:46 EST 2008

Hi all there! :)

I've searched and tried lot of things before posting here, but nothing
worked.
So I'm going to summary my problem that is a possible pcmciautils bug.

I have a PCMCIA net card with no brand. During boot up kernel says:

pcnet_cs: this is an AX88190 card!
pcnet_cs: use axnet_cs instead.
pcnet_cs: unable to read hardware net address for io base 0x300

During pcmcia-cs days (long time ago) the problem was simply fixed
adding these lines in config.opts:

card "Network card"
    version "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet"
    manfid 0xffff, 0x1090
    bind "axnet_cs"

and at reboot everything worked fine. No need even to blacklist pcnet_cs.

 From the coming of 2.6.13 kernel and pcmciautils I didn't managed to
find a way to make this card working.
I studied udev rules, but these aren't the problem as no card is present
in /sys/class/net/ except (obviously) lo.
I tried manually blacklisting pcnet_cs (with success) and manually
modprobing axnet_cs (with success) but still no interface is found in
/sys/class/net.

I'm asking here because the problem seems to be related from the change
from pcmcia-cs to pcmciautils.

Thank you very much.
Bye,
Diego

P.S.: if you need more infos about quite the same problem (same error,
similar cards):
http://cnycomputerservice.com/deblap.html
Source file triggering "pcnet_cs: use axnet_cs instead"
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c