[2.6 patch] PCMCIA mustn't select HAVE_IDE

Adrian Bunk bunk at kernel.org
Tue Apr 15 18:10:02 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:03:45PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:52:23AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> So this is a only impacting ARM wrt. PCMCIA, and given that ARM supplies
> an asm/ide.h, it's _entirely_ reasonable that if a platform has PCMCIA
> then it supports IDE.
>
> > We could simply always select HAVE_IDE on arm instead of manually
> > setting which platforms could possibly get IDE support (e.g. are there
> > any boards with PCI slots for which HAVE_IDE is currently not
> > selected?).
>
> You could, if there was a demand for it.  As no one has added that,
> I conclude that its less common for people to stick an IDE controller
> into a PCI backplane.

People can always enable code for stuff they don't use.

But instead of having 14 ARM platforms plus PCMCIA (which is offered
unconditionally on all ARM platforms...) select HAVE_IDE it's simpler
to select it once for all ARM platforms.

> In fact, there are only three classes of ARM platforms which have PCI
> selected but not HAVE_IDE - IOP13xx, IXP2000, and Orion.  I suspect
> the only reason they don't select it because they now use the ATA code
> rather than the old IDE code - that's certainly true of Orion.

The libata options are offered unconditionally on all platforms...

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed