ide-cs and interrupts

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Mon Jun 25 13:20:27 EDT 2007

Hi,

I seem to have a general problem in understanding how ide-cs is
supposed to work.
On my i.MX31/ARM11 based board here, the PCMCIA socket is correctly
detected, it sees cards being inserted and can read its IDs and
everything. However, once I attach the ide-cs driver to an inserted
CompactFlash card (which has no other functions than that), I keep
getting "hda: lost interrupt" messages.

Thus, I traced the interrupts in question and found out that there is
indeed no interrupt occuring in the kernel, and in fact not even on
the hardware. While I'm forcing interrupts manually on the IREQ# line
of the card, I can get rid of the messages and make the card
functional, so I'm sure that it's not about the the communication in
general but only about this missing interrupt requests.

What confuses me is that the card - as it's set to IO mode - does not
drive the IREQ# line at all, however it's fully functional besides
that. I tried with different cards, all behave the same.

Is this an hardware issue? Or anything in the software layer I missed
to trace? Does the card need any more setup sequence to actually
generate strobes on IREQ#?

Please Cc: me in answers, I'm not subscribed to the list.

Many thanks for any hint,
Daniel